It was a good year for the Earth's space programs. So good, that I jumped on the bandwagon. This article contains a lot of great information about the highlights of space exploration in 2006.
Here are a few of the big ones.
- Aceize is founded, 150 year business plan set in motion.
- Bigelow Aerospace launches their first inflatable module onboard a Russian SS-18 intercontinental ballistic missle
- Anousheh Ansari travels to space. The deal was brokers by Virginia Based 'Space Adventures'
- Several launch services promote international cooperation including; International Launch Services (a U.S.-Russian venture), and Europeâ€™s Arianespace and United Launch Alliance.
- SpaceX and Rocketplane Kistler receive grants of almost $500 million from NASA for development of craft that can resupply the spacestation
- Lockheed Martin receives the contract for the Orion exploration vehicle
- NASA launches it's moon base strategy
- Armadillo Aerospace makes a good run at creating a lunar lander for a Northrop Grumman prize
- Ice geysers spotted on Saturn's moon, Enceladus
- Signs of Liquid water spotted on Mars
- India and China are improving their space programs, both are planning lunar orbiters in the coming years
- Both Martian land rovers are still operational after 3 years
- Aceize is founded